2 of 2 portraits of Edwin Smith
by Howard Coster
14 7/8in. x 11 3/4in. (377 mm x 299 mm)
Given by the estate of Howard Coster, 1959
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Edwin Smith (1912-1971), Photographer, writer and painter. Sitter in 2 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9346 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1955back to top
Current affairsRobert Anthony Eden becomes prime minister. In May 1955 Winston Churchill resigned due to ill health. His successor proved to be a similarly popular leader, winning an increased majority at the general election that year. Eden's popularity was due to a combination of his long wartime service, good looks and charm.
Art and scienceMary Quant introduces the 'Chelsea Look' with her Bazaar boutique. In the 1960s Quant was a major contributor to 'swinging London' introducing some of the seminal items of 1960s fashion: the miniskirt, hot pants, paint-box make-up and plastic raincoats.
InternationalWest Germany joins NATO, prompting the East European Communist counties to respond by forming the Warsaw Pact. The signatories of the Warsaw Pact pledged to defend each other if any member was attacked. This development was a major event in the Cold War as it firmly established the East and West as opposing military powers.
Exhibitions and displays
- A Century of Photography, 1840-1940
Until 1 October
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Collected Archives - C-D
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary