16 of 18 portraits of Wyndham Lewis
by Elliott & Fry
glass negative, 9 March 1957
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- (Percy) Wyndham Lewis (1882-1957), Painter and novelist. Sitter in 18 portraits, Artist associated with 39 portraits.
Events of 1957back to top
Current affairsHarold Macmillan takes over as Conservative prime minister, manoeuvring Eden out of power after his poor handling of the Suez Crisis the previous year.
The Wolfenden Report recommends that homosexuality should no longer be a criminal offence. It still took ten years, however, before any changes were made to the law on homosexuality with the Sexual Offences Act in 1967.
Art and scienceThe Today Programme is first broadcast on Radio 4. This early morning current affairs programme is known for breaking major stories early, and for its hard-hitting approach and touch interviewing style. Presenters have included: Robert Robinson, Brian Redhead, Libby Purves, Jenni Murray, Sue MacGregor, John Humphrys, Anna Ford and James Naughtie.
InternationalThe Treaty of Rome leads to the formation of the European Economic Community. Officially beginning on 1st January 1958, the EEC established a European Common Market, where goods, services, labour and capital could move freely within the European member countries, and shared policies were agreed for labour, social welfare, agriculture, transport, and foreign trade. The EEC preceded the European Community, and the European Union.
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus