1 portrait of Matthew Arnold
by Elliott & Fry
albumen carte-de-visite, 1870s
3 1/2in. x 2in. (88 mm x 56 mm)
acquired Clive Holland, 1959
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Matthew Arnold (1822-1888), Poet, writer and inspector of schools. Sitter in 18 portraits.
Events of 1870back to top
Current affairsWilliam Edward Forster's Education Act is passed, making provisions for education for all under-13s. It demonstrated the balance in Gladstone's first ministry between progressive reform and conservativism by spreading literacy, whilst maintaining the status of Church schools. The Married Women's Property Act gives wives rights over their own earnings.
Art and scienceThe Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's fantasy-overture Romeo and Juliet, based on Shakespeare's play and written with the aid of composer Mily Balakirev, debuts in Moscow, conducted by Nikolai Rubenstein. W. G. Grace becomes cricket captain of Gloucestershire, marking the start of a successful decade for the club in which they won three 'Champion County' titles.
InternationalIsaac Butt, an Irish MP at Westminster, forms the Home Rule Association.The Franco-Prussian war breaks out between France and a coalition of German states led by Prussia. Provoked by the candidacy of German Prince Leopold Hohenzollen-Sigmaringen for the Spanish throne, France declared war in July after Bismark published the deliberately provocative Ems telegraph, in which the French were represented in an offensive light on the issue.
Exhibitions and displays
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
Until 5 June
- Public and Private: Winston Churchill in Photographs
Until 5 June
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
- Wise, Constant and Courageous: Millicent Garrett Fawcett
Until 4 September
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians