1 portrait of Barbara Hepworth
by John Hedgecoe
cibachrome print, 1970
16 in. x 12 in. (405 mm x 305 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Dame Barbara Hepworth (1903-1975), Sculptor; second wife of Ben Nicholson. Sitter in 28 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 298
Events of 1970back to top
Current affairsEdward 'Ted' Heath wins a surprise victory for the Conservative party at the general election, becoming Prime Minister. Opinion polls had predicted a comfortable Labour victory, but with a failing economy, the Tories snatched a narrow last minute majority.
Art and scienceGermaine Greer publishes The Female Eunuch, an influential feminist text arguing that women's sexuality and capacity for action are repressed by the family and their roles in society. Greer suggested that women should get to know their bodies and become empowered by their sexuality. The book was an international best seller.
InternationalFour aircraft are hijacked by Palestinian terrorists. The planes were landed in Cairo, Jordan and London and the hijackers demanded the release of Political Prisoners in exchange for the hostages. Several prisoners were returned and three of the planes were blown up after most of the hostages were release.Four students are shot dead by national guardsmen during a protest against the Vietnam War in America.
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- John Hedgecoe: Portraits
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> Sir Michael Tippett
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> Priaulx Rainier
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> T.S. Eliot
- Only Connect - installation video
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary