Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II
by Baron (Sterling Henry Nahum)
cibachrome print, 1949
13in. x 9 7/8in. (330 mm x 250 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Baron (Sterling Henry Nahum) (1906-1956), Photographer. Artist associated with 90 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Events of 1949back to top
Current affairsFollowing the Republic of Ireland Act in 1948, the Irish Free State becomes the Republic of Ireland and leaves the Commonwealth. The functions previously given to the King were handed to the President of Ireland.The Second Parliament Act diminishes the power of the House of Lords, reducing their authority to delay bills from two years to one.
Art and scienceGeorge Orwell publishes his dystopian novel, 1984. The book imagines a future where totalitarian governments rule; their power based on continual war abroad, and overwhelming propaganda and surveillance at home. With 'Big Brother' keeping a constant check on the citizens' actions and thoughts, the individual looses the faculties of free will and independent thought.
InternationalThe People's Republic of China is created after the Communist Party wins the Civil War. China became a communist country under Mao Zedong.Cold War tensions increase as Germany is split into the democratic Federal Republic of Germany in the west (a union of the post-war British, French and American sectors), and the communist German Democratic Republic, in the east.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Celebration Chocolate Chip Shortbread Biscuits
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Tea Towel
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust