2 of 6 portraits of Edward Ardizzone
by Howard Coster
cream-toned vintage print, 1954
9 1/2 in. x 7 1/2 in. (240 mm x 190 mm)
Given by the estate of Howard Coster, 1959
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Edward Jeffrey Irving Ardizzone (1900-1979), Artist and illustrator. Sitter in 6 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9346 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ecclesshare, Julia, Beatrix Potter to Harry Potter: Portraits of Children's Writers, 2002 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 15 May to 26 August 2002), p. 47
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Beatrix Potter to Harry Potter: Portraits of Children's Writers (15 May 2002 - 26 August 2002)
Events of 1954back to top
Current affairsRoger Bannister runs the four-minute mile. Bannister was the first man to achieve the 'miracle mile', a feat that was thought by some to be impossible, beating his rival, the Australian John Landy, to the record. Bannister went on to a career as a distinguished neurologist.Food rationing ends in Britain.
Art and scienceJ.R.R. Tolkien publishes the first two parts of the Lord of the Rings trilogy: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. Tolkien was an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon language and literature and drew on his scholarly interests in history, language and mythology to create the fictional land of Middle Earth where the books are set.Williams Golding publishes, Lord of the Flies.
InternationalThe South East Asia Treaty Organisation (SEATO) is established in Bangkok. This international defence organisation was established as part of the 'containment' policy of limiting the influence of communism. SEATO was, however, found to be ineffective as the member organisations failed to agree on combined action; it was disbanded in 1977.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Collected Archives - C-D
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary