© National Portrait Gallery, London
Caroline Wilhelmina of Brandenburg-Ansbach
by George Vertue, after Jacopo Amigoni Click on the links below to find out more
line engraving, 1736 (1735)
12 in. x 7 1/8 in. (303 mm x 181 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
- Jacopo Amigoni (1682?-1752), Painter. Artist associated with 14 portraits.
- George Vertue (1683-1756), Engraver and antiquary. Artist associated with 849 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- NPG 4332: Caroline Wilhelmina of Brandenburg-Ansbach (source portrait)
- NPG D10770: Caroline Wilhelmina of Brandenburg-Ansbach (from same plate)
- NPG D14018: Caroline Wilhelmina of Brandenburg-Ansbach (from same plate)
- NPG D10772: Caroline Wilhelmina of Brandenburg-Ansbach (from same plate)
Frederick, Prince of Wales marries Augusta of Saxe-Gotha.Porteous Riots in Edinburgh after the execution of smuggler Andrew Wilson. Captain John Porteous orders his men to fire into the mob, causing six deaths. He is found guilty of murder, dragged from his cell, beaten and hung to death by a mob.Repeal of laws against witchcraft.Gin Act attempts to curtail consumption of gin.
Art and science
Posthumous publication of Isaac Newton's Method of Fluxions
, describing his method of differential calculus. One of the earliest recorded uses of a Bathing Machine at Scarborough.
Methodist preachers John and Charles Wesley arrive in Savannah, Georgia.Stanislaus I of Poland abdicates the throne.Swiss mathematician and physicist Leonhard Euler produces the first published proof of Fermat's little theorem concerning prime numbers.Charles Marie de La Condamine and François Fresneau Gataudière make the first scientific observations of rubber in Ecuador.