Gladstone Family Group
1 portrait of Catherine Gladstone (née Glynne)
Gladstone Family Group
by Herbert Rose Barraud
albumen cabinet card, 1870s-1900s
3 7/8in. x 5 1/4in. (98 mm x 133 mm)
Given by J.P.K. Wright, 1935
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Mary Drew (née Gladstone) (1847-1927), Political secretary, writer and hostess, daughter of William Ewart Gladstone. Sitter associated with 9 portraits.
- Herbert John Gladstone, 1st Viscount Gladstone (1854-1930), Politician, Home Secretary and governor-general of the Union of South Africa. Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Henry Neville Gladstone, 1st Baron Gladstone of Hawarden (1852-1935), Businessman and financier and third son of William Ewart Gladstone. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Catherine Gladstone (née Glynne) (1812-1900), Philanthropist; wife of William Ewart Gladstone. Sitter in 46 portraits.
- Helen Gladstone (1849-1925), Educationist; daughter of William Ewart Gladstone. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Stephen Edward Gladstone (1844-1920), Minister. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- William Ewart Gladstone (1809-1898), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter associated with 315 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 263 Oxford Street, London)
Events of 1870back to top
Current affairsWilliam Edward Forster's Education Act is passed, making provisions for education for all under-13s. It demonstrated the balance in Gladstone's first ministry between progressive reform and conservativism by spreading literacy, whilst maintaining the status of Church schools. The Married Women's Property Act gives wives rights over their own earnings.
Art and scienceThe Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's fantasy-overture Romeo and Juliet, based on Shakespeare's play and written with the aid of composer Mily Balakirev, debuts in Moscow, conducted by Nikolai Rubenstein. W. G. Grace becomes cricket captain of Gloucestershire, marking the start of a successful decade for the club in which they won three 'Champion County' titles.
InternationalIsaac Butt, an Irish MP at Westminster, forms the Home Rule Association.The Franco-Prussian war breaks out between France and a coalition of German states led by Prussia. Provoked by the candidacy of German Prince Leopold Hohenzollen-Sigmaringen for the Spanish throne, France declared war in July after Bismark published the deliberately provocative Ems telegraph, in which the French were represented in an offensive light on the issue.
Exhibitions and displays
- At the Despatch Box: Gladstone in Action
Until 4 June 2017