6th Earl of Albemarle with his son, the 7th Earl, his grandson the 8th Earl and his grandson the 9th Earl
by John Edwards Click on the links below to find out more
albumen cabinet card, circa 1882
5 5/8in. x 4in. (143 mm x 101 mm)
- George Thomas Keppel, 6th Earl of Albemarle (1799-1891), Army officer. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- William Coutts Keppel, 7th Earl of Albemarle (1832-1894), Soldier, politician and Under-Secretary for War. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Arnold Allan Keppel, 8th Earl of Albemarle (1858-1942), Lord-in-Waiting to the King, 1922-24. Sitter in 20 portraits.
- Walter Egerton George Lucian Keppel, 9th Earl of Albemarle (1882-1979), Soldier, Aide-de-camp to colonial governors and London County Councillor. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- John Edwards (active circa 1882), Photographer. Artist of 1 portrait.
- Levitt, Sarah, Fashion in Photographs 1880-1900, 1991, p. 17
The Ashes Test cricket series is born. The series gets its name from a satirical obituary published in the English newspaper The Sporting Times
, stating that English cricket had died and its cremated body was being taken back to Australia, after England, with batsmen W. G. Grace and Charles Studd, lost the first home match to Australia at the Oval.The Married Women's Property Act is passed, securing equal property rights between married couples.
Art and science
Eadweard Muybridge, British photographer, exhibits his images of animal and human motion, captured with his 'zoopraxiscope', a motion-picture machine recreating movement by displaying individual photographs in rapid succession, at the Royal Academy and Royal Institution. His studies and inventions contributed to the development of motion pictures, with E.J. Marey and the Lumiere brothers acknowledging his impact.
The Zioinist movement begins, with the first wave of Jewish immigrants to Palestine, at this time part of the Ottoman empire. The Jewish people were in Diaspora, spread across the world, and Palestine, the place of Jewish origin but now also occupied by Muslims and Christians, seemed a logical place for a settlement.