© National Portrait Gallery, London
(William) Kenneth Armitage
by Ida Kar Click on the links below to find out more
vintage bromide print, 1954
9 3/8 in. x 6 3/4 in. (238 mm x 171 mm)
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1521 portraits, Sitter in 136 portraits.
- NPG x88597: (William) Kenneth Armitage (from same photo shoot)
- NPG x88598: (William) Kenneth Armitage (from same photo shoot)
- NPG x88599: (William) Kenneth Armitage (from same photo shoot)
- NPG x88600: (William) Kenneth Armitage (from same photo shoot)
Roger Bannister runs the four-minute mile. Bannister was the first man to achieve the 'miracle mile', a feat that was thought by some to be impossible, beating his rival, the Australian John Landy, to the record. Bannister went on to a career as a distinguished neurologist.Food rationing ends in Britain.
Art and science
J.R.R. Tolkien publishes the first two parts of the Lord of the Rings
trilogy: The Fellowship of the Ring
and The Two Towers
. Tolkien was an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon language and literature and drew on his scholarly interests in history, language and mythology to create the fictional land of Middle Earth where the books are set.Williams Golding publishes, Lord of the Flies
The South East Asia Treaty Organisation (SEATO) is established in Bangkok. This international defence organisation was established as part of the 'containment' policy of limiting the influence of communism. SEATO was, however, found to be ineffective as the member organisations failed to agree on combined action; it was disbanded in 1977.