Queen Elizabeth II
© William Hustler and Georgina Hustler / National Portrait Gallery, London
Queen Elizabeth II
by Dorothy Wilding
chlorobromide print on tissue and card mount, 1952
11 3/8 in. x 8 1/2 in. (290 mm x 215 mm)
Given by the photographer's sister, Susan Morton, 1976
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Dorothy Wilding (1893-1976), Photographer. Artist associated with 2147 portraits, Sitter in 30 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Gittings, Clare, Portraits of Queen Elizabeth I: An Educational Resource Pack, 2003
- Moorhouse, Paul and Cannadine, David (appreciation), The Queen: Art and Image, 2011 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 17 May to 21 October 2012), p. 57
- Pepper, Terence, In Pursuit of Perfection: The Photographs of Dorothy Wilding, 1991 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 July 1991 - 29 September 1991), p. 101
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 201
Events of 1952back to top
Current affairsKing George VI is found dead in his bed in Sandringham; he had been suffering from lung cancer. His daughter Elizabeth, who was in Kenya at the time, became Queen, the only monarch not to know the precise moment of her accession as her father was alone when he died. Elizabeth was crowned the following year.
Art and scienceSamuel Beckett's play, Waiting for Godot is performed for the first time in Paris. The play belongs to the Theatre of the Absurd style, which influenced playwrights such as Harold Pinter and Tom Stoppard.Agatha Christie's play The Mousetrap opens in London. It is still going.
InternationalMau Mau rebels in Kenya rise up against the British colonial administration. The rebellion was sparked by the growing poverty of the native farmers under the rule of white settlers and called for Kenyan independence. The violence of the rebels, who often murdered settlers and loyalists, was met by the indiscriminate suppression by the British Military, who executed hundreds of suspects.
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust