King Edward VII and large royal party
1 portrait of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia
© reserved; collection National Portrait Gallery, London
King Edward VII and large royal party
by Robert Milne
albumen print, 1896
7 5/8in. x 9 1/2in. (194 mm x 242 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Queen of Edward VII. Sitter associated with 469 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits.
- Alexandra, Empress of Russia (née Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine) (1872-1918), Consort of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia; daughter of Princess Alice and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Field Marshal, Governor General of Canada; son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 155 portraits.
- Princess Louise, Duchess of Connaught (née Princess of Prussia) (1860-1917), Daughter of Prince Frederick of Prussia; wife of Arthur, Duke of Connaught. Sitter in 35 portraits.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 498 portraits.
- Haakon VII, King of Norway (1872-1957), Reigned 1905-57. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife (1867-1931), Princess Royal; wife of 6th Earl of Fife, later Duke of Fife; daughter of King Edward VII. Sitter in 92 portraits.
- Margaret, Crown Princess of Sweden (1882-1920), First wife of Crown Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden; daughter of Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 36 portraits.
- Maud, Queen of Norway (1869-1938), Queen consort of King Haakon VII; daughter of King Edward VII. Sitter in 92 portraits.
- Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia (1868-1918), Reigned 1894-1917. Sitter in 23 portraits.
- Princess Patricia of Connaught (later Lady Patricia Ramsay) (1886-1974), Wife of Sir Alexander Ramsay; daughter of Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught; granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 28 portraits.
- Princess Victoria of Wales (1868-1935), Fourth child of King Edward VII. Sitter associated with 109 portraits.
- Princess Helena Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1870-1948), Daughter of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 35 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Levitt, Sarah, Fashion in Photographs 1880-1900, 1991, p. 131
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: Scotland, Aberdeenshire (Balmoral Castle, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1896back to top
Current affairsQueen Victorian surpasses her grandfather King George III as the longest-reigning monarch in Britain. The first speeding conviction is given to Walter Arnold of Kent, for exceeding the limit of 2 mph. William Morris, the author, designer and prominent socialist, dies at Kelmscott House in Hammersmith, aged 62.
Art and scienceDan Leno, creator of the Pantomine Dame, is signed to Drury Lane theatre company, where he stays for sixteen years, playing some of the best known Pantomine characters. Henry Ford builds his first gasoline-powered car. Running on four bicycle wheels it was dubbed the 'Quadricycle'; its success contributed to the founding of the Ford Motor Company in 1903.
InternationalThe first modern Olympic Games are held in Athens, organised by the International Olympic Committee, formed in Paris in 1894. Events included athletics, cycling, weightlifting and wrestling, with around fourteen nations competing. Rhodes resigns as Cape Colony Prime Minister after refusing to repudiate Jameson for his part in the raid on the Transvaal.
Exhibitions and displays
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December