The Beatles (Paul McCartney; George Harrison; Ringo Starr; John Lennon)
by Brian Aris Click on the links below to find out more
bromide print, 1963
14 1/8in. x 18 1/8in. (360 mm x 460 mm)
- George Harrison (1943-2001), Musician; member of The Beatles. Sitter in 52 portraits.
- John Lennon (1940-1980), Musician; co-founder and singer for The Beatles. Sitter in 61 portraits, Artist of 3 portraits.
- Sir (James) Paul McCartney (1942-), Musician and member of The Beatles and Wings. Sitter in 55 portraits.
- Ringo Starr (Richard Starkey) (1940-), Musician; drummer for The Beatles. Sitter associated with 40 portraits.
- Brian Aris (1946-), Photographer. Artist of 10 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
The Secretary of State for War, John Profumo is found to have lied to the House of Commons when he denied having an affair with the showgirl, Christine Keeler. The Profumo Affair was a public scandal for the Conservative party, and ultimately contributed to the resignation of Harold Macmillan.
Art and scienceDoctor Who
is first broadcast on the BBC with William Hartnell playing the Doctor. This long running science fiction series about an alien Time Lord who travels through time and space in his police-box-shaped Tardis has been watched by generations of viewers (often from behind the back of the sofa), and features imaginative, but traditionally low-budget, special effects, innovative electronic music, and the Doctor's greatest enemy, the Daleks.
John F. Kennedy is assassinated in Texas. The arrest of Lee Harvey Oswald for his murder did not prevent a score of conspiracy theories involving Cuba, the CIA, the KGB, and the Mafia among others.Martin Luther King delivers his 'I have a dream' speech, marking an important moment in the civil rights movement in America and helping to secure him the Nobel Peace Prize' in 1964.