1 portrait on display in Room 28: wallcase at the National Portrait Gallery
by Alexander Bassano
albumen cabinet card, 1889
5 7/8 in. x 4 in. (149 mm x 103 mm) image size
Given by Cecil Reginald Grundy, 1940
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Isabel Maude Penrice ('Belle') Le-Poer-Trench (née Bilton), Countess of Clancarty (1867-1906), Music hall entertainer; wife of 5th Earl of Clancarty; daughter of John George Bilton. Sitter in 34 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Alexander Bassano (1829-1913), Photographer. Artist associated with 2808 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Levitt, Sarah, Fashion in Photographs 1880-1900, 1991, p. 73
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 25 Old Bond Street , London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Alexander Bassano: Victorian Photographer (From 25 March 2013)
Events of 1889back to top
Current affairsThe London Dock strike takes place resulting in a victory for the dock workers striking over pay and conditions.
Prevention of Cruelty to Children Act, allowing legal intervention between children and parents for the first time.
Charles Booth, the English social scientist, publishes the first volume of Life and Labour of the People, an extensive survey into the living conditions of London's East End working class communities.
Art and scienceGeorge Gissing's The Nether World, a dark account of the lives of the urban poor in Clerkenwell, is published. Gissing absorbs the French naturalist style of writers such as Emile Zola to produce a harshly realistic observation of life in London at the end of the nineteenth century.
InternationalThe Eiffel Tower is erected, designed by the French engineer and bridge builder Alexandre Gustave Eiffel for the Paris Exposition. At 300m high, it was the tallest manmade structure in the world at the time.
The Second International organisation is formed at a Congress in Paris by various socialist and labour parties, with the intention of working together for international socialism. It also declared 1 May International Labour Day.