Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II
by Cecil Beaton
semi-matte cibachrome print, 2 June 1953
13 3/8 in. x 9 3/4 in. (331 mm x 249 mm)
acquired the estate of Cecil Beaton, 1986 in conjunction with the 'Elizabeth II' exhibition
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1088 portraits, Sitter associated with 354 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Faces of the Century, 1999 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 22 October 1999 to 30 January 2000), p. 222
- Gittings, Clare, Portraits of Queen Elizabeth I: An Educational Resource Pack, 2003
- Moorhouse, Paul and Cannadine, David (appreciation), The Queen: Art and Image, 2011 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 17 May to 21 October 2012), p. 61
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1953back to top
Current affairsA combination of low pressure in the North Sea, hurricane force winds, and high tides result in the Great Flood of 1953. With no warning system many were trapped in their homes as 20-foot waves crashed on the coast; hundreds were killed at sea and on the east coast.John Hunt's British Expedition conquers Everest. News of the achievement reached Britain on the day of Elizabeth's coronation.
Art and scienceFrances Crick and James Watson discover the double helix structure of DNA. Uncovering DNA's chemical make-up revolutionised our understanding of the building blocks of life.Ian Fleming publishes his first James Bond novel, Casino Royal.Chad Varah founds 'The Samaritans' helpline.
InternationalJoseph Stalin dies four days after suffering a stroke. It has been suggested that Stalin was assassinated, as he was denied medical assistance for over a day after he was found; many suspect that he was poisoned. On his death Georgy Malenkov became leader of the Soviet Union.
Exhibitions and displays
- Yousuf Karsh
- The Face of Monarchy
- The Queen's Golden Jubilee
- Terry O'Neill: Celebrity
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Cecil Beaton Portraits
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole