by James Heath, published by Charles Dilly, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
stipple engraving, published 10 April 1791 (1756-1757)
11 1/8 in. x 8 5/8 in. (283 mm x 218 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford, 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), Poet, critic and lexicographer. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Charles Dilly (1739-1807), Bookseller. Artist associated with 9 portraits.
- James Heath (1757-1834), Engraver. Artist associated with 78 portraits, Sitter associated with 8 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This engraving was created in 1791 for the frontispiece of James Boswell's Life of Johnson. It is based on the famous portrait painted by Sir Joshua reynolds in 1756 just after the publication of Johnson's Dictionary. Johnson requested that some alterations should be made to the original plate of the engraving so that he appeared older and wiser than in the earlier painting.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Life and Lives of Dr Johnson (18 July 2009 - 14 December 2009)