© National Portrait Gallery, London
Joseph John Gurney
by Richard James Lane, printed by M & N Hanhart, published by Josiah Fletcher, after George Richmond Click on the links below to find out more
21 7/8 in. x 14 3/4 in. (557 mm x 376 mm) paper size
Given by Captain A.C. Moller, 1959
- Joseph John Gurney (1788-1847), Banker, Quaker philanthropist and writer. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Josiah Fletcher (active 1847). Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- M & N Hanhart (active 1839-1882), Lithographic printers. Artist associated with 323 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1178 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- George Richmond (1809-1896), Portrait painter and draughtsman; son of Thomas Richmond. Artist associated with 325 portraits, Sitter in 14 portraits.
The 10 Hours Factory Act passed, regulating working hours for women and children under the age of eighteen to effectively a maximum of ten hours a day. The Communist League is founded in London, attended by Friedrich Engels. The League draws up a set of rules and aims, including overthrowing the bourgeoisie and empowering the Proleteriat, and ending class division, forming the basis of Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto
Art and science
A good year for novels: Emily Bronte's passionate, rebellious and gothic Wuthering Heights
is published, followed shortly by her sister Charlotte's 'Jane Eyre
, a story of a governess's struggle for liberty from social and gender constrictions. Drawing on a similar vein of revolution and rebellious women, William Thackeray's satirical novel Vanity Fair
The Don Pacifico affair sparks an international incident, when the Jewish trader's business was burned in an anti-semitic attack in Athens. When the Greek government refused to compensate him, Gibraltar-born Pacifico appealed to the British government. Foreign Minister Palmerston sent a squadron into the Aegean in 1850 to seize goods of the equivalent value, leading to strained relations with Turkey and Russia, and heated debates in Parliament.