'Group of Royal Family'
9 of 60 portraits of Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany
'Group of Royal Family'
by and after John Jabez Edwin Mayall
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, early 1860s
3 1/4 in. x 2 1/4 in. (83 mm x 57 mm) image size
Given by George Cubitt, 1934
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- John Jabez Edwin Mayall (1813-1901), Photographer. Artist associated with 503 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (1853-1884), Fourth and youngest son of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 60 portraits.
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1819-1861), Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 201 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1844-1900), Naval officer; second son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 76 portraits.
- Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (1843-1878), Third child of Queen Victoria; wife of Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. Sitter associated with 108 portraits.
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Field Marshal, Governor General of Canada; son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 154 portraits.
- Princess Beatrice of Battenberg (1857-1944), Fifth and youngest daughter of Queen Victoria; wife of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter in 100 portraits.
- Princess Charlotte of Prussia, Duchess of Saxe-Meiningen (1860-1919), Second wife of Bernhard III, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen; daughter of Frederick III, Emperor of Germany and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 497 portraits.
- Princess Helena Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1846-1923), Wife of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein; third daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 78 portraits.
- Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, Duchess of Argyll (1848-1939), Daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 93 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 520 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Victoria, Empress of Germany and Queen of Prussia (1840-1901), Consort of Frederick III, German Emperor, King of Prussia; daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 119 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG Ax46716: Victoria, Empress of Germany and Queen of Prussia; Princess Charlotte of Prussia, Duchess of Saxe-Meiningen (appears within the portrait)
- NPG Ax47004: King Edward VII when Prince of Wales (appears within the portrait)
- NPG x26116: Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (appears within the portrait)
- NPG Ax39784: Queen Victoria (appears within the portrait)
- NPG x15726: Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (appears within the portrait)
Events of 1860back to top
Current affairsAn early feminist movement, The Society for Promoting the Employment of Women is founded by Adelaide Anne Proctor, Emily Faithfull, Helen Blackburn, Bessie Parks, Emily Davies, Barbara Bodichon, and Jessie Boucherett.The Florence Nightingale Training School for Nurses opens at St Thomas's Hospital, in London, funded from the testimonial fund collected for Nightingale following her war services, and helping to establish nursing as a profession.
Art and scienceWilliam Morris and new wife Jane Burden move into the Red House, near Bexleyheath, Kent. The house, designed by Philip Webb, represents Morris's principle in interior design, that no object should be in a house that is not beautiful.Ford Madox Brown paints The Last of England, showing a boat of emigrants leaving England under desperate circumstances, inspired by the emigration of the Pre-Raphaelite Thomas Woolner to Australia in 1852.
InternationalItalian unification continues as the Treaty of Turin brings much of Northern Italy under nationalist leader Cavour's control, who cedes Savoy and Nice to France. Garibaldi siezes the opportunity to invade Marsala in Sicily with his army of 1,000 redshirts, proclaiming himself dictator in the name of Victor Emmanuel II. Republican Abraham Lincoln becomes President of the US, with only 39% of the popular vote.
Exhibitions and displays
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card
- Prince Albert Decoration