Emma Hamilton ('Alope')
6 of 30 portraits of Emma Hamilton
Emma Hamilton ('Alope')
by Richard Earlom, published by John Boydell, published by Josiah Boydell, after George Romney
stipple engraving, published 1 August 1787
11 7/8 in. x 15 1/2 in. (303 mm x 393 mm) plate size; 14 5/8 in. x 18 1/8 in. (370 mm x 461 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1951
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Emma (née Lyon), Lady Hamilton (Baptised 1765-1815), Mistress of Lord Nelson. Sitter in 30 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- John Boydell (1720-1804), Engraver and printseller. Artist associated with 127 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Josiah Boydell (1752-1817), Artist and publisher. Artist associated with 66 portraits.
- Richard Earlom (1743-1822), Engraver. Artist associated with 107 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
- George Romney (1734-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 160 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
This portraitback to top
When the print market took off in the mid-eighteenth century it provided the public with affordable portraits of celebrities and the famous. Emma Hamilton's likeness was seen in numerous paintings that were reproduced in engravings of different sizes and prices. Many were based on portraits by George Romney who was captivated by Emma. He portrayed her in many different guises - a voluptuous bacchante, as Alope, the great beauty from classical mythology, or as 'love-lorn' Kate from William Cowper's 'The Task'. Prints such as these, which could be owned by many people, were
integral to the construction of Emma's celebrity status.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1787back to top
Current affairsSocial reformers Granville Sharp and Thomas Clarkson found the Society for Effecting the Abolition of the Slave Trade in London with support from John Wesley, Josiah Wedgwood and others.George III shows first signs of mental instability in November.
Art and sciencePainter Robert Barker takes out a patent on the Panorama..Astronomer William Herschel discovers the two moons of Uranus, Titania and Oberon. The original Lord's Cricket Ground holds its first cricket match.
InternationalCaptain William Bligh sets sail for Tahiti on The Bounty.First performance of composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Don Giovanni at the National Theatre, Prague.A British ship lands a party of freed slaves as the first modern settlers in Sierra Leone.Captain Arthur Phillip leaves Portsmouth with eleven ships full of convicts to establish a penal colony in Australia.Bahamas become a British colony.
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Emma Hamilton <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Emma Hamilton <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect - William Hamilton <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - William Hamilton <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - William Hamilton <> Horatio Nelson
- Only Connect - Emma Hamilton <> Horatio Nelson
- Only Connect - Emma Hamilton <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - installation video
- George Romney
- Collected Archives - N-S
- Artist - Romney