© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Benjamin Smith, published by John Boydell, published by Josiah Boydell, after William Hogarth Click on the links below to find out more
stipple engraving, published 2 April 1794 (1745)
15 1/2 in. x 11 3/4 in. (394 mm x 298 mm) plate size; 16 1/8 in. x 12 1/4 in. (411 mm x 311 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1937
- William Hogarth (1697-1764), Painter and engraver. Sitter associated with 19 portraits, Artist associated with 126 portraits.
- John Boydell (1720-1804), Engraver and printseller. Artist associated with 127 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Josiah Boydell (1752-1817), Artist and publisher. Artist associated with 66 portraits.
- William Hogarth (1697-1764), Painter and engraver. Artist associated with 126 portraits, Sitter associated with 19 portraits.
- Benjamin Smith (circa 1754-1833), Engraver, printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 16 portraits.
- NPG D3257: William Hogarth (based on same portrait)
- NPG D14543: William Hogarth (based on same portrait)
- NPG D19973: William Hogarth (based on same portrait)
Treason Trials against John Horne Tooke, Thomas Hardy and John Thelwall take place amidst fears of domestic revolution. Their acquittal marks the most dramatic victory of the cause.Leader of the Opposition, Charles James Fox's Libel Bill secures the landmark right of trial by jury for the accused.
Art and science
Edward Jenner discovers the smallpox inoculation after realising that those who worked with cattle and caught cowpox developed immunity.Drury Lane Theatre re-opens under the management of the playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan. In competition with the Covent Garden Theatre it featured a new pit and boxes designed by architect Henry Holland.
Maximilien Robespierre, member of the French dictatorial Committee of Public Safety is arrested and executed as part of a conspiracy by enemies who disliked his anti-extremist stance and zeal for social reform.Campaign in the Low Countries under the Duke of York. Allies are defeated and French reoccupy Brussels. British troops retreat to Holland.