© National Portrait Gallery, London
Robert Fountain (or Fountaine) Elwin
by Henry Edward Dawe, published by William Freeman, after George Clint Click on the links below to find out more
mezzotint, mid 19th century
14 in. x 9 7/8 in. (357 mm x 252 mm) plate size; 16 7/8 in. x 12 1/2 in. (428 mm x 318 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1963
- George Clint (1770-1854), Portrait painter and engraver. Artist associated with 78 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Henry Edward Dawe (1790-1848), Painter and printmaker. Artist associated with 61 portraits.
- William Freeman (active 1828), Printseller. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- NPG D1833: Robert Fountain (or Fountaine) Elwin (from same plate)
- NPG D36177: Robert Fountain (or Fountaine) Elwin (from same plate)
George IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and science
Liverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides
; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
July Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.