14 of 16 portraits of Henry James
after John Singer Sargent
photograph, before 1929 (1913)
14 5/8 in. x 11 7/8 in. (371 mm x 303 mm) plate size; 20 in. x 14 7/8 in. (507 mm x 379 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- John Singer Sargent (1856-1925), Portrait and landscape painter and muralist. Artist associated with 72 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1913back to top
Current affairsThe Suffragette, Emily Davison dies after stepping out in front of the King's horse as a protest at the Epsom Derby. In the same year the Liberal government passed the Cat and Mouse Act allowing them to release and re-arrest Suffragettes who went on hunger strike while in prison. Davidson, herself, had been on hunger strike and was force-fed while detained at Holloway Prison.
Art and scienceStravinsky's ballet The Rite of Spring comes to London following its premier at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées in Paris. Audiences were shocked by Stravinsky's rhythmic and dissonant musical score and by the violent jerky dancing of Sergei Diaghilev's Ballets Russes, which were intended to represent pagan ritual.
InternationalHenry Ford introduces the assembly line at the Ford Motor Company, rapidly increasing the rate at which the famous Model T could be manufactured, leading to massive growth in the motorcar industry and demonstrating to other industries the efficiency of mass production.
Related shop items
- Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision Catalogue (Paperback)
- Sargent: Portraits of Artists and Friends
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- John Singer Sargent: Painting Friends
- Sargent 'Dr. Pozzi' Exhibition Poster
- Sargent 'The Fountain' Exhibition Poster