© National Portrait Gallery, London
by (Isaac) Weld Taylor, printed by Jérémie Graf, published by Thomas Boys, after John Linnell Click on the links below to find out more
lithograph, published 6 March 1840
22 3/8 in. x 15 5/8 in. (568 mm x 396 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
- William Evans (died 1856), Businessman and Sheriff of London and Middlesex. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Thomas Boys (active 1840s-1859), Fine art publisher. Artist associated with 17 portraits.
- Jérémie Graf (active 1837-1842), Lithographic printer. Artist associated with 110 portraits.
- John Linnell (1792-1882), Painter. Artist associated with 68 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
- (Isaac) Weld Taylor (1812-1891), Lithographer. Artist associated with 17 portraits.
Victoria marries her cousin, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha; he is given the title of Prince Consort. The Penny Black stamp is introduced by Rowland Hill; the first pre-paid, self-adhesive stamp, it marks the start of the modern postal system.The start of the Irish potato famine, which by the time of its peak in 1851, had caused the deaths of one million, and contributed to the sharp rise of emigration from Ireland to England and America.
Art and science
Beau Brummel, the fashion leader responsible for sparking the culture of 'Dandyism', dies of syphilis.The first stone is laid on the new Houses of Parliament, based on the gothic designs by the architects Charles Barry and Augustus Pugin. The old buildings had burned down in 1834, following a blaze caused by burning wooden tallies used by the Exchequer to calculate tax.
The Afghans surrender to Britain during the Afghan-British war (1839-42). The war was sparked by British fear over Russian influence in Afghanistan, with the British East India Company resolving to depose the Afghan leader, Dost Muhammad, who was insistent on Afghan independence, and restore the former leader Shoja Shah. The Maoris yield sovereignty of New Zealand under the Treaty of Waitangi.