© National Portrait Gallery, London
Miss Blanche Fane as The Little Treasure
by Alphonse Léon Noël, printed by Lemercier, published by Henry Graves & Co, after James Edgell Collins Click on the links below to find out more
hand-coloured lithograph, published 1856
19 3/4 in. x 14 1/2 in. (503 mm x 368 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
- James Edgell Collins (1820-after 1875), Painter. Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Henry Graves & Co (active 1844-1899), Publishers. Artist associated with 228 portraits.
- Lemercier (active 1836-1856), Lithographic printer. Artist associated with 16 portraits.
- Alphonse Léon Noël (1807-1884), Lithographer. Artist associated with 14 portraits.
- NPG D36643: Miss Blanche Fane as The Little Treasure (from same plate)
- NPG D36644: Miss Blanche Fane as The Little Treasure (from same plate)
Queen Victoria introduces the Victoria cross, an award for British soldiers who displayed exceptional valour in battle. Each medal was produced from Russian guns captured in the British war. In 2006, Lance Corporal Johnson Beharry became the first living recipient of the Victoria Cross since 1965, for his actions in the Iraq war.
Art and science
The National Portrait Gallery is founded by Philip Henry Stanhope, 5th Earl of Stanhope, Thomas Babington Macaulay, and Thomas Carlyle, all biographers and historians. Historical rather than artistic in focus, the Gallery's aim was to collect original portraits of outstanding figures from British history, notably from politics, the arts, literature and science. Elizabeth Barrett Browning publishes her epic and autobiographical poem Aurora Leigh
The Treaty of Paris ends the Crimean war. Russia concedes to the Anglo-French-Austrian Four Points of August 1854 including the guarantee of Ottoman sovereignty and territorial integrity. Russia also agreed to a demilitarisation of the land islands in the Baltics, a term which lasted until the outbreak of the First World War.Britain launches the second Opium war against China.