© National Portrait Gallery, London
Benjamin Robert Haydon; John Keats
by Arthur Dawson, after John Keats, after Benjamin Robert Haydon Click on the links below to find out more
photograph, before 1934 (1816)
13 3/8 in. x 8 5/8 in. (341 mm x 220 mm) plate size; 16 1/8 in. x 9 7/8 in. (409 mm x 251 mm) paper size
Given by Maurice Buxton Forman, 1934
- Benjamin Robert Haydon (1786-1846), History painter and diarist. Sitter in 10 portraits, Artist associated with 34 portraits.
- John Keats (1795-1821), Poet. Sitter in 15 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Arthur Dawson (active early 20th century), Photographer. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Benjamin Robert Haydon (1786-1846), History painter and diarist. Artist associated with 34 portraits, Sitter in 10 portraits.
- John Keats (1795-1821), Poet. Artist associated with 2 portraits, Sitter in 15 portraits.
- NPG 3250: Benjamin Robert Haydon; John Keats (after)
Marriage of Princess Charlotte to Leopold I.Income Tax abolished.Unsuccessful Spa Fields Riot led by the ultra-radical Arthur Thistlewood which aimed to attack the Tower of London and the Bank of England and set up a ruling 'Committee of Public Safety' following the French model.
Art and science
Jane Austen publishes Emma.Leeds and Liverpool Canal completed.
British Government buys the Elgin Marbles, taken from the Acropolis in Athens by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, and brought to England between 1803 and 1812. Their acquisition prompts support from Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Robert Haydon and condemnation from Lord Byron.Slave rebellion fails in Barbados; four hundred slaves are executed.