6 of 24 portraits of Fanny Kemble
by Richard James Lane, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
hand-coloured lithograph, published 1829-1830
17 in. x 13 1/8 in. (432 mm x 332 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Frances Anne ('Fanny') Kemble (1809-1893), Actress and author. Sitter in 24 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
- NPG D22010: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D22401: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D22402: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36820: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36821: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36822: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36823: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D22242: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36824: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
Events of 1829back to top
Current affairsMetropolitan police force of over three thousand paid, uniformed, professional policemen founded by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel.
Roman Catholic Relief Act grants emancipation; Catholics admitted to vote, sit in parliament and hold almost all public offices.
Art and scienceSuccess of George Stephenson's Rocket steam engine at Rainhill Trials.
First London bus service licensed; the new 'box-on-wheels' contributes greatly to the expansion of the suburbs.
Apsley House completed for the Duke of Wellington by Benjamin Wyatt.
First Oxford and Cambridge boat race.
InternationalAndrew Jackson is elected President of the United States.
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Off the Beaten Track - Three Centuries of Women Travellers
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Portrait of the Day: Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
24 November, 12:30