© National Portrait Gallery, London
Hon. William Windham
by and published by Samuel William Reynolds, sold by William Freeman, after John Hoppner Click on the links below to find out more
mezzotint, published 1804
26 in. x 15 5/8 in. (661 mm x 396 mm) plate size; 26 1/4 in. x 16 1/4 in. (666 mm x 413 mm) paper size
- Hon. William Windham (1750-1810), Politician; Secretary at War. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
- William Freeman (active 1828), Printseller. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- John Hoppner (1758-1810), Painter. Artist associated with 213 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Samuel William Reynolds (1773-1835), Mezzotint engraver and painter. Artist associated with 628 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
- NPG D37056: Hon. William Windham (from same plate)
William Pitt returns to office and forms a second coalition administration, retaining many of those who had served under his predecessor Henry Addington but specifically excluding his arch rival Charles James Fox .
Art and science
William Blake starts writing Jerusalem
. One of his most ambitious allegorical poems, it took nearly eight years to complete. Amidst infighting about submissions to the annual exhibition, attempts are made to unseat painter Benjamin West as President of the Royal Academy and elect architect James Wyatt instead.
Napoleon declares himself Emperor of France and is crowned as Napoleon I by Pope Pius VII in Paris. Haiti achieves independence led by Toussaint L'Ouverture, the patriot and martyr who had seized control from the French in 1801. He becomes a symbolic figure of freedom for the British anti-slavery movement.