19 of 28 portraits of William Holman Hunt
published by Hughes & Edmonds
albumen print, published 1876
8 7/8 in. x 6 1/4 in. (224 mm x 159 mm) image size
Given by Mrs Granville Proby, 1944
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- William Powell Frith (1819-1909), Painter. Sitter in 25 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- William Holman Hunt (1827-1910), Pre-Raphaelite painter. Sitter in 28 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
- Sir Edwin Henry Landseer (1802-1873), Painter. Sitter in 21 portraits, Artist associated with 54 portraits.
- Sir John Everett Millais, 1st Bt (1829-1896), Painter and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 74 portraits, Artist associated with 40 portraits.
- Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775-1851), Landscape painter. Sitter associated with 42 portraits, Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Sir David Wilkie (1785-1841), Painter. Sitter in 21 portraits, Artist associated with 16 portraits.
Events of 1876back to top
Current affairsFollowing the introduction of the Royal Titles Act, Queen Victoria is proclaimed Empress of India, with Disraeli deliberately flattering Victoria's imperialist ambitions. In turn, Victoria creates Disraeli Earl of Beaconsfield; he continues to run government from the Lords.
Art and scienceThe classical-subject painter Lawrence Alma-Tadema, famous for his elegant depictions of the Roman Empire, paints An Audience at Agrippa's.US inventor Alexander Graham Bell invents and patents the telephone following research into vocal physiology and speech instruction for the deaf, after discovering that sound could be transmitted and reconverted through an electric wire by using a continuous electric current.
International15,000 Bulgarian Christians are slaughtered by Turkish troops in retaliation for the killing of 300 Turks in Batak at the start of the Bulgarian uprising. The Turkish government practices further repression by compulsorily transferring people of other ethnicities to Bulgaria to make the Bulgarians a minority. Gladstone published a pamphlet The Bulgarian Horrors and the Question of the East attacking Turkish actions, selling 200,000 copies in a month.
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Caricatures by Edwin Landseer
- Only Connect - Edwin Landseer <> Niccolò Paganini
- Height of Fashion with Lucinda Chambers, Fashion Director, British Vogue
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue