published by Kings Town Photocodes Limited, after George Richmond, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
photographic reproduction, circa 1983 (1828)
19 3/4 in. x 14 1/2 in. (501 mm x 369 mm) paper size
Given by Kings Town Photocodes Limited, 1983
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- William Wilberforce (1759-1833), Philanthropist and reformer. Sitter associated with 32 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Kings Town Photocodes Limited (active 1983), Publishers. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- George Richmond (1809-1896), Portrait painter and draughtsman; son of Thomas Richmond. Artist associated with 325 portraits, Sitter in 14 portraits.
Events of 1983back to top
Current affairsMargaret Thatcher wins a landslide majority for the Conservative Party at the general election. Although her premiership had previously been unpopular, the British victory in the Falklands coupled with divisions in Michael Foot's Labour opposition, helped her to gain popularity and win the most decisive election victory since 1945.
Art and scienceThe British sitcom Blackadder is aired for the first time. Each of the four series followed the character of the anti-hero Edmund Blackadder and took place during a different period of British history. The first series, The Black Adder, was a satire of medieval England during the rein of the fictitious Richard IV, and frequently lifted famous lines from Shakespeare.
InternationalThe armed struggle between Tamil militants and the Sinhalese-dominated government of Sri Lanka begin with the Black July pogrom. Mobs (allegedly supported by the government) started attacking and murdering Tamils following an attack by Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam on government soldiers. Civil war between the government and Tamil nationalists has continued sporadically ever since.
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Collected Archives - N-S
- WebQuest: Heroes of Abolition
- Portrait of the Day: Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
27 August, 12:30
- Lecture Wellington: The Man
14 September, 19:00