Henry Cecil Lowther
2 of 2 portraits of Henry Cecil Lowther
Henry Cecil Lowther
by George Henry Phillips, published by Martin Colnaghi, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
mezzotint, published April 1831 (1818)
21 3/4 in. x 16 1/2 in. (552 mm x 420 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1949
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Henry Cecil Lowther (1790-1867), Colonel of the Cumberland Militia, amateur cricketer and politician; MP for Westmorland. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Martin Colnaghi (circa 1792-1851), Printseller. Artist associated with 38 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- George Henry Phillips (circa 1800-active 1852), Printmaker. Artist associated with 22 portraits.
Events of 1831back to top
Current affairsParliamentary Reform Bill is rejected by the House of Lords prompting riots in Nottingham, Derby and Bristol.
Art and scienceMichael Faraday demonstrates electromagnetic induction.Death of Lady Sarah Ponsonby, last of the famous Ladies of Llangollen who attracted many of the leading names in art and literature to visit them at their home in Plas Newydd, Wales.Opening of New London Bridge, designed by John Rennie.
InternationalViolinist Niccolo Paganini arrives in England from Italy and embarks on a six month tour of the country after astonishing London audiences with his virtuoso performances.Revolutionary outbreaks in Modena, Parma and the Papal States influenced by the July Revolution in France the previous year.
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history