by Ida Kar
2 1/4 inch square film negative, 1957
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Dame (Jean) Iris Murdoch (1919-1999), Novelist and philosopher. Sitter in 35 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1508 portraits, Sitter in 137 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Kar photographed Murdoch as she worked on the manuscript for The Bell (1958), one of her most popular novels and the first to be influenced by Plato. Murdoch is seen here at Cedar Lodge, Steeple Aston, where she had moved two years before her marriage to writer, critic and fellow Oxford don, John Bayley.
- Weekend Workshop: The Quest for Reality: Giacometti & Uglow
From 14 November, 11:00
- Sunday Session: Abandoning the Real
1 November, 13:00
- Lecture: Giacometti: Pure Presence
12 November, 19:00
- Lecture: Inside Giacometti’s Studio
22 October, 19:00