by Ida Kar
2 1/4 inch square film negative, 1960
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1514 portraits, Sitter in 137 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Kar photographed Breton at the studio of his Paris apartment, 42 rue Fontaine, near Montmatre, where he lived at the time with his third wife Elisa. Breton moved to this address in 1922 and the flat served as the hub of surrealism. Breton is seen at his writing desk surrounded by the artefacts he collected. On the wall hangs one of his most treasured paintings, Giorgio De Chirico's The Child's Brain (1914) and a portrait by Pablo Picasso.
- Weekend Workshop: The Quest for Reality: Giacometti & Uglow
From 14 November, 11:00
- Sunday Session: Abandoning the Real
1 November, 13:00
- Lecture: Giacometti: Pure Presence
12 November, 19:00
- Lecture: Inside Giacometti’s Studio
22 October, 19:00