by Ida Kar
2 1/4 inch square film negative, 1958
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- William Somerset Maugham (1874-1965), Novelist, playwright and spy. Sitter associated with 113 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1508 portraits, Sitter in 137 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Kar photographed Maugham at the Dorchester hotel on a visit to London from his home on the French Riviera. His essays on Goethe, Chekhov, Henry James and Katherine Mansfield were published in Points of View in the year this photograph was taken.
- Weekend Workshop: The Quest for Reality: Giacometti & Uglow
From 14 November, 11:00
- Sunday Session: Abandoning the Real
1 November, 13:00
- Lecture: Giacometti: Pure Presence
12 November, 19:00
- Lecture: Inside Giacometti’s Studio
22 October, 19:00