1 portrait of Augustus John
by George Charles Beresford
sepia platinotype print, 1902
6 in. x 4 1/4 in. (151 mm x 109 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Augustus Edwin John (1878-1961), Painter. Sitter in 101 portraits, Artist associated with 33 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Charles Beresford (1864-1938), Photographer. Artist associated with 386 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Augustus John: A Life in Portraits (26 July 2011 - 18 March 2012)
Events of 1902back to top
Current affairsPrime Minister Lord Salisbury resigns and is replaced by his nephew, Balfour, who this year introduces the Education Act, which controversially hands control of secondary education from school boards to Local Education Authorities. Arthur Griffith, leader of the Society of Gaels, introduces a policy of 'Sinn Fein' at a Society meeting in Dublin, which includes passive resistance to the British and the establishment of an Irish ruling council.
Art and scienceJoseph Conrad publishes his short story The Heart of Darkness, a powerful critique of European imperialism. Based on his experiences in Africa, the narrative follows Charles Marlow's journey into the Belgian Congo in search of the mysterious trader Kurtz. In New York, Alfred Stieglitz founds the Photo-Secession movement, a group of US photographers influenced by the Pictoralist movement, seeking recognition of photography as art in its own terms.
InternationalThe first Aswan Dam is opened on the Nile, at the time the world's largest dam. The gravity dam, 1900m long and 54m high, was designed by Sir William Willcocks and built by engineers including Sir John Aird, whose firm John Aird & Company was the main contractor. The Boer War ends after the Boers accept their loss of independence under the Treaty of Vereeniging, bringing the Boer republics under British control.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Augustus John Greetings Card
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Vanity Fair Portraits catalogue (paperback)
- Virginia Woolf by George Charles Beresford Mini-print
- Virginia Woolf by George Charles Beresford Postcards