by Ida Kar
vintage bromide print, 1953
11 3/4 in. x 9 7/8 in. (297 mm x 251 mm) overall
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Jacob Epstein (1880-1959), Sculptor. Sitter in 68 portraits, Artist of 14 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1539 portraits, Sitter in 136 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Epstein received public recognition late in life, being knighted in 1954, and completed large commissions and numerous portraits in his last decade. It was during this period, while acting as guardian for his son Theo, that Kar photographed Epstein at his studio at 18 Hyde Park Gate, Kensington.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's studio, London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer (10 March 2011 - 19 June 2011)
Events of 1953back to top
Current affairsA combination of low pressure in the North Sea, hurricane force winds, and high tides result in the Great Flood of 1953. With no warning system many were trapped in their homes as 20-foot waves crashed on the coast; hundreds were killed at sea and on the east coast.
John Hunt's British Expedition conquers Everest. News of the achievement reached Britain on the day of Elizabeth's coronation.
Art and scienceFrances Crick and James Watson discover the double helix structure of DNA. Uncovering DNA's chemical make-up revolutionised our understanding of the building blocks of life.
Ian Fleming publishes his first James Bond novel, Casino Royal.
Chad Varah founds 'The Samaritans' helpline.
InternationalJoseph Stalin dies four days after suffering a stroke. It has been suggested that Stalin was assassinated, as he was denied medical assistance for over a day after he was found; many suspect that he was poisoned. On his death Georgy Malenkov became leader of the Soviet Union.
- Lunchtime Lecture: The Russian Revolution and British Society
2 November, 13:15
- Lunchtime Lecture: Nicola Hicks: A Life in Mud and Straw
16 November, 13:15