by Ida Kar
quarter-plate film negative, 1954
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1508 portraits, Sitter in 137 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The year this photograph was taken, Léger had completed one of his final works, The Great Parade. Bill Hopkins wrote: 'Standing beside one of his latest still lifes, Léger's virtuosity has caused as many controversies in painting as Stravinsky in music. Looking at him, he is the Norman farmer epitomised. Not what one regards a revolutionary at all.'
- Weekend Workshop: The Quest for Reality: Giacometti & Uglow
From 14 November, 11:00
- Sunday Session: Abandoning the Real
1 November, 13:00
- Lecture: Giacometti: Pure Presence
12 November, 19:00
- Lecture: Inside Giacometti’s Studio
22 October, 19:00