by Ida Kar
2 1/4 inch square film negative, 1962
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Sitter in 136 portraits, Artist associated with 1520 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1520 portraits, Sitter in 136 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In the year this photograph was taken an exhibition of 76 of Kar's large format prints travelled to Moscow's House of Friendship as part of a government-sponsored cultural exchange programme. Ida Kar received glowing reviews; 'Ida Kar is that rare thing - the artist photographer'. 20,000 people saw the exhibition in two weeks and in the UK Studio magazine ran the cover story 'Ida Kar: Artist with a Camera.'
Linked publicationsback to top
- Rideal, Liz, Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by Women Artists, 2001 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12 September 2001 to 20 January 2002), p. 95
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's home, 20 D'Arblay Street, London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists (12 September 2001 - 20 January 2002)