© National Portrait Gallery, London
Joseph Nollekens with a bust of Charles James Fox
by Giovanni Vendramini, published by T. Cadell & W. Davies, after William Evans, after Lemuel Francis Abbott Click on the links below to find out more
stipple engraving, published 21 October 1816 (circa 1797)
15 in. x 12 7/8 in. (381 mm x 327 mm) plate size; 18 3/8 in. x 15 1/4 in. (468 mm x 387 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1929
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 299 portraits.
- Joseph Nollekens (1737-1823), Sculptor. Sitter in 14 portraits, Artist associated with 19 portraits.
- Lemuel Francis Abbott (circa 1760-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 77 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- T. Cadell & W. Davies (active 1795-1817), Publishers. Artist associated with 234 portraits.
- William Evans (active 1797-1856), Draughtsman and engraver. Artist associated with 103 portraits.
- Giovanni Vendramini (1769-1839), Engraver and architect. Artist associated with 24 portraits.
- NPG 30: Joseph Nollekens (after)
- NPG D19817: Joseph Nollekens with a bust of Charles James Fox (from same plate)
- NPG D14363: Joseph Nollekens with a bust of Charles James Fox (from same plate)
Marriage of Princess Charlotte to Leopold I.Income Tax abolished.Unsuccessful Spa Fields Riot led by the ultra-radical Arthur Thistlewood which aimed to attack the Tower of London and the Bank of England and set up a ruling 'Committee of Public Safety' following the French model.
Art and science
Jane Austen publishes Emma.Leeds and Liverpool Canal completed.
British Government buys the Elgin Marbles, taken from the Acropolis in Athens by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, and brought to England between 1803 and 1812. Their acquisition prompts support from Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Robert Haydon and condemnation from Lord Byron.Slave rebellion fails in Barbados; four hundred slaves are executed.