Sir John Moore
1 portrait of Sir John Moore
Sir John Moore
by Charles Turner, published by Colnaghi & Co, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
mezzotint, published 14 April 1809 (circa 1805)
19 3/4 in. x 13 7/8 in. (503 mm x 353 mm) plate size; 21 3/4 in. x 16 1/2 in. (552 mm x 420 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1929
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir John Moore (1761-1809), Lieutenant-General; victor of Corunna. Sitter in 11 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Colnaghi & Co (active 1809-1835), Publishers. Artist associated with 100 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Charles Turner (1773-1857), Engraver. Artist associated with 618 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Events of 1809back to top
Current affairsDuke of Portland resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Spencer Perceval.Motion for parliamentary reform is defeated in the House of Commons.Notorious duel between George Canning and Viscount Castlereagh over strategic failures against Napoleon.
Art and scienceMaria Edgeworth publishes Tales of Fashionable Life, a popular and perceptive series of stories exploring Anglo-Irish society after the Union.Robert Smirke completes the New Covent Garden Theatre after fire. 'Old Price' theatre riots quickly break out against rising cost of admission.Pall Mall in London is lit by gas for the first time.
InternationalBritish army lands in Lisbon and defeats the French at Talavera. Arthur Wellesley is created Viscount Wellington as a result of this victory.Walcheren expedition led by General Chatham, which aimed to take Antwerp, fails amidst allegations of military corruption and carnage.James Madison is elected President of the United States.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z