© National Portrait Gallery, London
James Paine the Elder; James Paine the Younger
by James Watson, published by Ryland and Bryer, after Sir Joshua Reynolds Click on the links below to find out more
17 3/4 in. x 12 7/8 in. (452 mm x 328 mm) plate size; 19 1/4 in. x 13 7/8 in. (490 mm x 351 mm) paper size
Given by Mr F.W.B. Maufe and Mrs G.B. Lane, 1950
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- Ryland and Bryer (active 1765-1772), Engravers and printsellers. Artist associated with 30 portraits.
- James Watson (circa 1740-1790), Engraver. Artist associated with 193 portraits.
- NPG D19791: James Paine the Elder; James Paine the Younger (from same plate)
- NPG D39504: James Paine the Elder; James Paine the Younger (from same plate)
Radical John Wilkes publishes his pornographic parody of Alexander Pope's An Essay on Man
; An Essay on Woman
. Parliament moves to expel him once again but Wilkes flees to Paris. He is found guilty of obscene and seditious libel in his absence and declared an outlaw. Sugar Act levies duty on sugar, wine and textiles imported into America while the Currency Act prohibits the American colonies from issuing paper currency in any form.
Art and science
8-year old composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart arrives in London with his family as part of a European tour and amazes British audiences. Artist William Hogarth dies in London.Connoisseur and collector Horace Walpole publishes The Castle of Otranto
; regarded as the first gothic novel.Lancashire weaver James Hargreaves invents the Spinning Jenny.
Catherine the Great founds the Hermitage as a court museum attached to the Winter Palace in St Petersburg.Nawab of Bengal Mir Qasim increasingly independent of the British and rebuilds Bengal's army. He captures the British garrison at Patna and executes his hostages. British forces are victorious at the decisive Battle of Buxar. Mir Qasim flees into exile in Delhi where he later dies. Jesuits are expelled from France.