'The Czar and Family'
1 portrait of Alexei, Tsarevich and Grand Duke of Russia
'The Czar and Family'
published by Rotary Photographic Co Ltd
postcard print, circa 1906
2 7/8 in. x 5 1/8 in. (73 mm x 130 mm) image size
Given by Sir Robert Clermont Witt, 1934
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Rotary Photographic Co Ltd (active 1897-1916). Artist associated with 1048 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Alexandra, Empress of Russia (née Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine) (1872-1918), Consort of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia; daughter of Princess Alice and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- Alexei, Tsarevich and Grand Duke of Russia (1904-1918), Heir apparent; son of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Anastasia, Grand Duchess of Russia (1901-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Maria, Grand Duchess of Russia (1899-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia (1868-1918), Reigned 1894-1917. Sitter in 23 portraits.
- Olga, Grand Duchess of Russia (1895-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Tatiana, Grand Duchess of Russia (1897-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 10 portraits.
Events of 1906back to top
Current affairsThe Liberals, led by Henry Campbell-Bannerman under a promise of reform, win a landslide victory in the general election. Electors vote to end two decades dominated by Conservative rule, with disaffection mounting over the conflict in South Africa and party division over education and tariff reform. The LRC continue to grow as a political force, winning 29 seats and changing their name later this year to the Labour Party.
Art and scienceRalph Vaughan Williams edits The English Hymnal, a collection of the best in English-language hymns. Published by the Church of England, it became one of the most popular and influential hymn books in the world.Antoni Gaudí completes his rebuilding of the Casa Batllo in Barcelona. Known locally as the 'casa dels ossos', or 'House of Bones', the building is striking for its use of curved stonework, oval windows and intricate tracery.
InternationalSan Francisco is devastated by an earthquake, measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale, leading to the greatest loss of life from a natural disaster in Californian history. The impact itself and resulting fire lead to the death of over 3,000 people, and over half of the city's 400,000 population were left homeless. Although still a major city, the earthquake directs trade, industry and population south to Los Angeles.
Exhibitions and displays
- Life Drawing: Capturing the Magic of Movement
29 April, 18:30