Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Lennox
by James Watson, after George Romney Click on the links below to find out more
mezzotint, published 21 December 1778 (1775-1777)
14 7/8 in. x 10 7/8 in. (378 mm x 277 mm) plate size; 15 1/8 in. x 11 1/8 in. (385 mm x 284 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1963
- George Romney (1734-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 160 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
- James Watson (circa 1740-1790), Engraver. Artist associated with 193 portraits.
- NPG 4877: Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Lennox (after)
- NPG D5814: Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Lennox (based on same portrait)
- NPG D5815: Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Lennox (based on same portrait)
Catholic Relief Act is the first to provide a measure of catholic emancipation, modifying the penal laws that effectively prevented Catholics from holding public office. The reform is encouraged by the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Mansfield, who had balked at various prosecutions under the statutes now repealed.
Art and science
Francis D'Arblay, writing as Fanny Burney, publishes her novel Evelina, or the History of a Young Lady's Entrance into the World
, in which she satirises contemporary society.Engineer Joseph Bramah invents a type of flush toilet, replacing the usual slide valve with a hinged flap that seals the bottom of the bowl.
American War of Independence: France, joining the American colonies in their fight against Britain, sends a large fleet across the Atlantic. The British rapidly abandon Philadelphia. The American naval hero John Paul Jones makes successful raids around the coasts of Britain.James Cook's third Pacific voyage, aboard the ships HMS Resolution
and HMS Discovery
, first views Oahu then Kauai in the Hawaiian Islands, which Cook names the Sandwich Islands.