1 portrait of Sir David Brewster
by William Brassey Hole
etching, published 1884
8 5/8 in. x 5 3/8 in. (219 mm x 138 mm) plate size; 15 5/8 in. x 10 3/8 in. (397 mm x 265 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- William Brassey Hole (1846-1917), Painter, etcher and engraver. Artist associated with 39 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Sittersback to top
- John Hutton Balfour (1808-1884), Botanist. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- John Hughes Bennett (1812-1875), Physician and physiologist. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Sir David Brewster (1781-1868), Natural philosopher and academic administrator. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881), Historian and essayist. Sitter associated with 81 portraits.
- Sir Robert Christison, 1st Bt (1797-1882), Toxicologist and physician. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Edward Forbes (1815-1854), Naturalist. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- James David Forbes (1809-1868), Physicist and geologist. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- John Goodsir (1814-1867), Anatomist. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Sir William Stirling Hamilton, Bt (1788-1856), Philosopher. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Philip Kelland (1808-1879), Mathematician. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- John Lee (1779-1859), Church of Scotland minister and university principal. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Robert Lee (1804-1868), Church of Scotland minister. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- James Pillans (1778-1864), Classicist and educational reformer. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Sir James Young Simpson, 1st Bt (1811-1870), Physician and obstetrician. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- James Syme (1799-1870), Surgeon. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Sir Charles Wyville Thomson (1830-1882), Naturalist. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Exhibitions and displays
- Simon Schama’s Face of Britain
Until 4 January 2016