Queen Elizabeth II
1 of 2 portraits of Lady Jane Antonia Frances Vane-Tempest-Stewart
Queen Elizabeth II
by Cecil Beaton
bromide print, 2 June 1953
18 1/8 in. x 15 1/8 in. (460 mm x 383 mm) sight
Lent by Gift of Mr Ford Hill, American Friends of the National Portrait Gallery (London) Foundation, Inc., 2011
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Queen Elizabeth II (1926-), Queen regnant. Sitter associated with 820 portraits.
- Anne Veronica (nÃ©e Coke), Baroness Glenconner (1932-), President of charitable organisations; Extra Lady-in-Waiting to Princess Margaret; wife of 3rd Baron Glenconner; daughter of 5th Earl of Leicester. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Lady Moyra Kathleen Hamilton (1930-), Daughter of 4th Duke of Abercorn; wife of Commander Peter Colin Drummond Campbell-Grove. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Lady Jane Antonia Frances Vane-Tempest-Stewart (1932-), daughter of Robin Vane-Tempest-Stewart, 8th Marquess of Londonderry. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1078 portraits, Sitter associated with 347 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Beaton was commissioned to take the official photographs of the Coronation, due in great part to the support of the Queen Mother, whom he had first photographed in 1939. Queen Elizabeth chose six Maids of Honour for her Coronation ceremony, following a precedent set by Queen Victoria. For this photograph Beaton placed the Maids of Honour in the order they had stood in Westminster Abbey. To the left can be seen a portrait of Richard Colley Wellesley, Marquess Wellesley (1760-1842) by Sir Martin Archer Shee (1769-1850).
The Maids of Honour were Lady Mary Baillie-Hamilton (now Lady Mary Russell), Lady Vane-Tempest-Stewart (now The Lady Rayne), Lady Jane Heathcote-Drummond-Willoughby (now The Baroness Willoughby de Eresby), Lady Anne Coke (now The Lady Glenconner), Lady Rosemary-Spencer-Churchill (now Lady Rosemary Muir) and Lady Moyra Hamilton (now Lady Moyra Campbell).
Portrait setback to top
Related shop items
- Monarchs Ruler
- The Queen Magnetic Chalkboard
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust
- Angus McBean Portraits catalogue (hardcover)
- Vanity Fair Portraits A Century of Iconic Images
- Beatles to Bowie The 60s exposed
- Irving Penn Portraits
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits (paperback)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Famous Faces Playing Cards