Queen Elizabeth II
1 portrait on display in Room 32 at the National Portrait Gallery
Queen Elizabeth II
by Cecil Beaton
bromide print, November 1955
20 in. x 15 7/8 in. (509 mm x 404 mm)
Given by Mr Ford Hill and the American Friends of the National Portrait Gallery (London) Foundation, Inc., 2015
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1087 portraits, Sitter associated with 353 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In November 1955, Cecil Beaton was asked to photograph the Queen, just before she went on a three-week tour of Nigeria. In this year Beaton also travelled to Portugal to photograph the wedding of King Umberto's daughter to Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia, and took portraits of Queen Helen of Romania.
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1955back to top
Current affairsRobert Anthony Eden becomes prime minister. In May 1955 Winston Churchill resigned due to ill health. His successor proved to be a similarly popular leader, winning an increased majority at the general election that year. Eden's popularity was due to a combination of his long wartime service, good looks and charm.
Art and scienceMary Quant introduces the 'Chelsea Look' with her Bazaar boutique. In the 1960s Quant was a major contributor to 'swinging London' introducing some of the seminal items of 1960s fashion: the miniskirt, hot pants, paint-box make-up and plastic raincoats.
InternationalWest Germany joins NATO, prompting the East European Communist counties to respond by forming the Warsaw Pact. The signatories of the Warsaw Pact pledged to defend each other if any member was attacked. This development was a major event in the Cold War as it firmly established the East and West as opposing military powers.
- Portrait of the Day: William John Christopher Vassall
17 August, 12:30
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Beatles to Bowie The 60s exposed
- Irving Penn Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Celebration Chocolate Chip Shortbread Biscuits
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Corgi Pin
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Fine Bone China Mug
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Tea Towel
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust
- Audrey Hepburn by Sir Cecil Beaton Postcards