Richard Grenville-Temple, 2nd Earl Temple
by William Dickinson, after Sir Joshua Reynolds Click on the links below to find out more
mezzotint, circa 1778 (1775-1776)
18 in. x 14 1/2 in. (456 mm x 367 mm) paper size
- William Dickinson (1746-1823), Engraver and printseller. Artist associated with 84 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- NPG D15009: Richard Grenville-Temple, 2nd Earl Temple (from same plate)
- NPG D40506: Richard Grenville-Temple, 2nd Earl Temple (from same plate)
- NPG D40507: Richard Grenville-Temple, 2nd Earl Temple (from same plate)
Catholic Relief Act is the first to provide a measure of catholic emancipation, modifying the penal laws that effectively prevented Catholics from holding public office. The reform is encouraged by the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Mansfield, who had balked at various prosecutions under the statutes now repealed.
Art and science
Francis D'Arblay, writing as Fanny Burney, publishes her novel Evelina, or the History of a Young Lady's Entrance into the World
, in which she satirises contemporary society.Engineer Joseph Bramah invents a type of flush toilet, replacing the usual slide valve with a hinged flap that seals the bottom of the bowl.
American War of Independence: France, joining the American colonies in their fight against Britain, sends a large fleet across the Atlantic. The British rapidly abandon Philadelphia. The American naval hero John Paul Jones makes successful raids around the coasts of Britain.James Cook's third Pacific voyage, aboard the ships HMS Resolution
and HMS Discovery
, first views Oahu then Kauai in the Hawaiian Islands, which Cook names the Sandwich Islands.