16 of 33 portraits of Marie Tempest
published by Rotary Photographic Co Ltd
matte bromide postcard photomontage, circa 1904
5 3/8 in. x 3 3/8 in. (136 mm x 86 mm) overall
Bequeathed by Patrick O'Connor, 2010
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Dame Marie Tempest (Mary Susan Etherington) (1864-1942), Actress. Sitter in 33 portraits.
- Ellaline Terriss ((Mary) Ellaline Hicks (née Lewin), Lady Hicks) (1871-1971), Actress; wife of Sir (Edward) Seymour George Hicks; daughter of William Terriss. Sitter in 36 portraits.
- Dame Ellen Alice Terry (1847-1928), Actress. Sitter in 192 portraits.
- Vesta Tilley (Matilda Alice (née Powles), Lady de Frece) (1864-1952), Music hall entertainer. Sitter in 49 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Rotary Photographic Co Ltd (active 1897-1916). Artist associated with 1028 portraits.
Events of 1904back to top
Current affairsBritain and France sign the Entente Cordiale, an agreement which resolves a number of longstanding colonial disputes (including a Declaration respecting Egypt and Morocco), signalling growing anxiety about the risk of future German aggression. Although not military binding, the agreement, negotiated between French foreign minister Théophile Delcassé, and Lord Lansdowne, the British Foreign Secretary, establishes a diplomatic understanding between the two countries.
Art and scienceJ. M. Barrie's Peter Pan is first performed at the Duke of York's Theatre in London. Charting the fantastical adventures of Peter, 'the boy who never grew up', the Darling children and the villainous Captain Hook in Neverland, many adaptations have been made of the story. The painter Gwen John settles in Paris, where she becomes the lover and model of the sculptor Auguste Rodin, modelling for his sculpture Muse.
InternationalJapan attacks the Russian Navy at Port Arthur, sparking the Russo-Japanese war. Hostility was prompted by the rival imperialist ambitions of the Russian and Japanese empires in Manchuria, North East China, and Korea, considered by Japan to be an essential buffer against colonisation by Western Powers. Japan wins a series of victories against Russia which transforms the balance of power in East Asia, and undermines the Tsar's rule in Russia.
Exhibitions and displays
- Life Drawing: Capturing the Magic of Movement
29 April, 18:30
Related shop items
- Vogue 100: A Century of Style
- Ellen Terry Scarf
- Ellen Terry Magnetic Frame
- Sargent: Portraits of Artists and Friends
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- Tennyson and his Circle Companion
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- John Singer Sargent: Painting Friends
- Pets in Portraits
- Ellen Terry Glasses Case
- George Frederic Watts DVD
- Ellen Terry Keyring
- Ellen Terry Pocket Mirror
- Ellaline Terriss, Lady Hicks by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederick Watts Mini-print
- Ellen Terry Jigsaw
- Ellen Terry Mini Jigsaw
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederic Watts Postcards