© National Portrait Gallery, London
Francis Russell, Marquess of Tavistock
by James Watson, published by John Boydell, after Sir Joshua Reynolds Click on the links below to find out more
mezzotint, published 1767 (1765-1766)
18 in. x 13 1/8 in. (457 mm x 332 mm) plate size; 19 5/8 in. x 14 5/8 in. (500 mm x 372 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1964
- John Boydell (1720-1804), Engraver and printseller. Artist associated with 127 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- James Watson (circa 1740-1790), Engraver. Artist associated with 193 portraits.
- NPG D40825: Francis Russell, Marquess of Tavistock (from same plate)
- NPG D40826: Francis Russell, Marquess of Tavistock (from same plate)
- NPG D40827: Francis Russell, Marquess of Tavistock (from same plate)
- NPG D40828: Francis Russell, Marquess of Tavistock (from same plate)
Birth of Prince Edward, fourth son of George III and father of Queen Victoria. Chancellor, Charles Townshend, passes a series of acts - the 'Townshend Duties' - taxing all glass, lead, paint, paper and tea imported into the American colonies.Work begins on Edinburgh's New Town, to the design of the 23-year-old architect James Craig.
Art and science
Josiah Spode establishes the Spode pottery manufactory at Stoke-on-Trent.Philosopher and chemist Joseph Priestley publishes The History and Present State of Electricity
. First annual Nautical Almanac is produced by Astronomer Royal Nevil Maskelyne, allowing mariners to find their longitude while at sea, using tables of lunar distances.
'Townshend Duties' cause uproar in America.First Anglo-Mysore War breaks out between between the Sultanate of Mysore Hyder Ali and the East India Company.Jesuits are expelled from Spain. Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon complete a four-year survey to establish the boundary between Pennsylvania and Maryland; the Mason-Dixon line.