A Political Riddle
16 of 50 portraits of George Hamilton Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen
A Political Riddle
by John ('HB') Doyle, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 6 June 1829
11 1/4 in. x 16 1/4 in. (286 mm x 412 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- George Hamilton Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen (1784-1860), Prime Minister. Sitter in 50 portraits.
- William Carr Beresford, Viscount Beresford (1768-1854), General. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 196 portraits.
- Maria II, Queen of Portugal (1819-1853), Reigned 1826-28 and 1834-53. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 437 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1829back to top
Current affairsMetropolitan police force of over three thousand paid, uniformed, professional policemen founded by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel.Roman Catholic Relief Act grants emancipation; Catholics admitted to vote, sit in parliament and hold almost all public offices.
Art and scienceSuccess of George Stephenson's Rocket steam engine at Rainhill Trials.First London bus service licensed; the new 'box-on-wheels' contributes greatly to the expansion of the suburbs. Apsley House completed for the Duke of Wellington by Benjamin Wyatt.First Oxford and Cambridge boat race.
InternationalAndrew Jackson is elected President of the United States.
Exhibitions and displays
- Celebrating Charlotte Brontë: 1816 – 1855
Until 14 August
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- Wellington: Triumphs, Politics and Passions
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Duke of Wellington Bust
- Duke of Wellington Decoration
- Prime Ministers Mug