2 of 23 portraits of Henry Goulburn
by John ('HB') Doyle, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 11 September 1829
11 1/4 in. x 16 1/4 in. (286 mm x 412 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- John Scott, 1st Earl of Eldon (1751-1838), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 93 portraits.
- Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland and King of Hanover (1771-1851), Son of George III. Sitter in 63 portraits.
- Henry Goulburn (1784-1856), Conservative politician; MP for Cambridge University. Sitter in 23 portraits.
- Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt (1788-1850), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 225 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 438 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1829back to top
Current affairsMetropolitan police force of over three thousand paid, uniformed, professional policemen founded by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel.
Roman Catholic Relief Act grants emancipation; Catholics admitted to vote, sit in parliament and hold almost all public offices.
Art and scienceSuccess of George Stephenson's Rocket steam engine at Rainhill Trials.
First London bus service licensed; the new 'box-on-wheels' contributes greatly to the expansion of the suburbs.
Apsley House completed for the Duke of Wellington by Benjamin Wyatt.
First Oxford and Cambridge boat race.